A note from Tanya (she/her & they/them) and Alex (he/him), leaders of the Pride Employee Resource Group at Discord:
At Discord, Pride Month is always a time to take action for the LGBTQIA2S+ community. This year was especially eventful: we kicked off June with our annual donation drive supporting GLSEN, launched a new Pronoun Bot, painted the walls of San Francisco, and helped spotlight over a dozen Pride-focused Stage Channel events held by our communities.
By the end of the month, our community had raised $70,769.85 for GLSEN. We at the Discord Pride Employee Resource Group donated an additional $50,000, bringing our grand total to a goal-shattering $120,769.85. These donations will help ensure LGBTQIA+ students around the world are able to learn and grow in a school environment free from bullying or harassment.
While we’re pleased with the success of the drive, of our Pronoun Bot, and of our community’s many panels and celebrations, we firmly believe that Pride doesn’t end in June. Pride is a never-ending celebration of support, awareness, and inclusion — and it’s important that we as a company continue to support LGBTQIA2S+ causes and communities all year round.
Discord’s Pride Employee Resource Group, a group of Discordians driven to create belonging in both the workspace and the world, would like to take this opportunity to share knowledge, resources, organizations, and information that can help you celebrate and support LGBTQIA2S+ communities in your daily life and keep the spirit of Pride alive.
— Tanya and Alex, on behalf of the Discord Pride ERG
Mental Health & Wellness
- National Queer & Trans Therapists of Color Network is a healing justice organization committed to transforming mental health for queer and trans people of color (QTPoC).
- The Trevor Project is the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer & questioning (LGBTQ) young people under 25.
- CenterLink plays a vital role in addressing the challenges centers face by helping them to improve their organizational and service delivery capacity, access public resources, and engage their regional communities in grassroots social justice movements.
- The Association of LGBTQ+ Psychiatrists is a community of psychiatrists that educates and advocates on LGBTQ mental health issues.
- GLMA is a national organization that utilizes the scientific expertise of its diverse multidisciplinary team of health professionals to inform and drive advocacy, education, and research.
- National Center for Lesbian Rights is a national legal organization helping advance the civil rights of all LGBTQ+ people & families. Feminist Founded, Advocates for all.
- Lambda Legal is committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of LGBTQIA+ people and everyone living with HIV through impact litigation, education, and public policy work.
- GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) works to create a just society free of discrimination based on gender identity and expression, HIV status, and sexual orientation.
- The Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SLRP) works to guarantee that all people are free to self-determine gender identity and expression, regardless of income or race, and without facing harassment, discrimination or violence.
- The Transformative Justice Law Project’s goal is to eliminate the root causes of inequality, violence, and oppression in our communities so that prisons become obsolete and all communities can thrive.
- Black & Pink, a nationwide PenPal program where incarcerated LGBTQIA2S+ people and people living with HIV/AIDS are matched with PenPals who correspond, build relationships and participate in harm reduction and affirmation.
- LGBT Books to Prisoners, a donation-funded, volunteer-run organization that sends books and other educational materials, free of charge, to incarcerated LGBTQ people across the United States.
- The Prisoner Correspondence Project, a solidarity project for LGBTQIA2S+ prisoners in Canada and the United States, linking them with people a part of these same communities outside of prison.
- TGI Justice is a group of transgender, gender variant, and intersex people — inside and outside of prisons, jails, and detention centers — creating a united family in the struggle for survival and freedom.
LGBTQIA+ Advocacy Organizations
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC) envisions a world where every member of the LGBTQ family has the freedom to live their truth without fear, and with equality under the law.
- National LGBTQ Task Force advances full freedom, justice, and equality for LGBTQ people, building a future where everyone can be free to be their entire selves in every aspect of their lives.
- National Center for Transgender Equality is a team of hard-working staff members supported by a nationwide community of transgender people, allies, and advocates with an extensive record of winning life-saving change for transgender people.
- ILGA Europe, an advocacy group promoting the interests of lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and intersex people, at the European level.
- interACT uses innovative legal and other strategies to advocate for the human rights of children born with differences in their chromosomes, hormones, and reproductive anatomy.
- It Gets Better Project, whose mission is to uplift, empower, and connect LGBTQ+ youth around the globe.
- Gate, an international advocacy organization working towards justice and equality for trans, gender diverse, and intersex communities.
- Transgender Law Center, the largest national trans-led organization advocating self-determination for all people.
- Trans Lifeline, a support center that offers peer support and is run by trans people, for trans people.
- Parenting Your Gender Expansive Child (GenderSpectrum.org)
- Your Legal Rights as a Trans Person (Transequality.org)
- What do I need to know about transitioning? (Planned Parenthood)
Resources from GLSEN
- Coming Out — A Resource for LGBTQ Students
- 10 Back-To-School Tips For LGBTQ Students
- LGBTQ Latinx Students Share 12 Must-Reads
Five Great LGBTQIA+ Partnered Communities
- Gay Geeks, a place where gamers and geeks of the LGBTQ+ community come together and hang out while making some friends along the way. Come talk about your geeky hobbies whether it be movies and tv, gaming, tabletop, and more! discord.gg/gaygeeks
- Spectrum, a safe space for LGBTQ+ people to find a queer community as the official server of the r/lgbt subreddit. discord.gg/lgbtq
- Trans Community Center, a server dedicated to creating a safe space for the trans and non-binary community to gather and organize. discord.gg/transcc
- The Bicyclists, an extension of the r/bi_irl Reddit community with a passion for connection, community, and cycling. discord.gg/bisexual
- Gaymers is one of the oldest LGBTQ+ servers on Discord, bringing love for gaming and community since December 2015. discord.gg/gaymers
Books, Movies & Media
- Hola Papi: How to Come Out in a Walmart Parking Lot and Other Life Lessons, by John Paul Brammer
- The 2000s Made Me Gay: Essays on Pop Culture, by Grace Perry
- The Ex-Girlfriend of My Ex-Girlfriend Is My Girlfriend: Advice on Queer Dating, Love, and Friendship by Maddy Court
- All About Love: New Visions by bell hooks
- List: 12 Films to Celebrate Over 50 years of Pride & Protest (emezcla.com)
- She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (Netflix)
- Steven Universe (Cartoon Network)
- Sex Education (Netflix)
- Pose (Netflix)
- Legendary (HBO)
- Yuri on Ice!!! (Crunchyroll)