Over the last year, the AAPI (Asian American Pacific Islander) community has been experiencing an alarming increase of anti-Asian hate crimes throughout the United States, with a majority of them targeting the elderly. This has increased in recent weeks, with the latest taking the form of a shooting in Atlanta, GA that left eight dead, including six Asian women.
We condemn these vicious and violent acts in our local communities and across the country. We are calling for all of our allies and the AAPI community on Discord to come together and fight against such transgressions.
Discord will be donating $30k to the following organizations chosen by our employees that are taking a stand against anti-Asian hate crimes:
Discord has a zero-tolerance policy for hate and discrimination and it extends beyond how people behave on our platform. We stand with and support our AAPI employees and communities.
One of the struggles that impact the AAPI community when hate crimes occur is that it doesn’t garner a lot of coverage in the news or other public outlets. We’d like to bring more awareness and provide resources on what our AAPI community and allies can do to help.
Having our community and allies share and spread the following information, resources and educational links below is an easy and important way to help raise awareness.
Donate, Support or Volunteer to AAPI-Focused Organizations
The following organizations are focused on helping the AAPI community fight against anti-Asian hate, including crime tracking, philanthropy, community education, and legal assistance.
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice — A national non-profit that focuses on housing rights, immigration, and immigrants’ rights, labor and employment issues, student advocacy, civil rights and hate violence.
- StopAAPIHate.org — Helps track and respond to incidents of hate, violence, harassment, discrimination, shunning, and child bullying against Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in California and where possible throughout the United States
- Asian Pacific Fund — The APF works to strengthen the Asian and Pacific Islander community in the Bay Area by increasing philanthropy and supporting the organizations that serve the most vulnerable community members.
- #HATEISAVIRUS — Founded in April 2020 to battle anti-Asian hate as a result of COVID-19. This org aims to amplify, educate and activate AAPI to stand for justice and equality in solidarity with other communities
- Send Chinatown Love — Send Chinatown Love works to provide relief efforts to small, off-the-grid businesses in Chinatown, NYC suffering from the impacts of COVID-19.
- Asian Mental Health Collective — Works to normalize and de-stigmatize mental health within the Asian community by making mental health support more easily available, approachable, and accessible to Asian communities worldwide.